– PhD in Chemistry, University of A Coruña, 2007
– Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (Environmental), University of A Coruña, 2000
I am interested in:
- The physicochemical characterisation of organic matter of terrestrial, fluvial and marine origin, and its interactions with macro-micronutrients and pollutants.
- The detection and characterisation of nanoparticles in environmental matrices.
- The analysis of interactions between plastics, nutrients, pollutants and organic matter.
- The study of metals and chemical speciation in aqueous systems.
- The removal of pollutants using waste materials of biological origin.
During my PhD studies I acquired experience in analytical and physico-chemical techniques applied to the removal of pollutants in solution using biomaterials.
As “Ángeles Alvariño” postdoctoral researcher, I worked on:
– The physico-chemical characterization of latex nanoparticles in aquatic systems with relevance for bioavailability and environmental impact studies (University of Lleida, Spain)
– The chemical characterization of biochars (Ecole des Mines de Nantes, France)
– The recovery of metals from solution through the formation of nanoparticles (Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland)
In 2012 I was awarded a Marie Curie Intra European Fellowship (IEF) at NOCS (UK), where I studied the behaviour and toxicity of silver nanoparticles in aqueous solutions and natural waters, as well as their modification with biopolymers from the agro-food industry.
Between 2015 and 2020, I was a senior researcher at the Geomar Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (Germany), and principal investigator of the group “Contaminant behaviour in aquatic systems”.
As Beatriz Galindo senior, I am currently involved in two international projects for the development of a chemical speciation model for natural waters, and for the study of the physico-chemical and speciation properties of trace elements limiting primary productivity in natural waters, in relation to dissolved organic matter, and their role in the global carbon cycle.
2020 – Now
Beatriz Galindo senior at University of Lleida and Agrotecnio
Senior Scientist at Geomar Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (Germany)
Marie Curie IEF at National Oceanography Centre Southampton (UK)
Ángeles Alvariño postdoctoral researcher at University of A Coruña (Spain), including two years of research placements:
- May-December 2011, Lappeenranta University of Technology (Finland)
- April-December 2010, Ecole des Mines de Nantes (France)
- April-December 2009, University of Lleida (Spain)
Postdoctoral researcher at University of A Coruña (Spain)